Sunday, May 11, 2008

Parachuting vs Bungee jumping

Okay, so this entry is basically a reflection of my recent physics project.

During the past few weeks we have been working on group projects, trying to solve motions with equations and theories. Our group was set the challenge to bungee jumping and parachuting- bad thing is, we weren't allowed to be the divers, we used balloons instead.

BUT, all the physics behind these fun activities, is actually not that boring. At first, I pretty much went insane, panicking at the amount of work we had to do in such little time. Slowly, we figured out the forces behind these motions, and eventually it wasn't the grade that propelled me to finishing, but the fact that I wanted to do so.

I thought the idea of a real like situation, with us starting from zero and having to solve the problems was awesome, but I think there are things we could improve. For example I would really wish our calculations and theories were approved of, and what I mean is if we were wrong, Mr. Loken could correct us, especially in the maths. And maybe next time it would be nice if we were given more time to do such projects, because honestly they are a lot of work- interesting, but a lot of work.

Overall, I think it is a really great way of learning...and I would say, it is what HISers are all about, independent learning. These things, aren't what normal high schoolers get to do, and I really appreciate the face that I had this opportunity, Thanks buff guy

No comments: