Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Strring Theory

Nova, a movie we watched in class, is a three hour long visual explanation to the theories of the universe.

Throughout this semester we have been working on problems based on how things move. And the equations we have been using were those of the scientist Isaac Newton. then eventually through David and Terence's presentation, we were given the ideas of Albert Einstein. And then again in this movie, a number of theories were introduced to us; string theory, quantum mechanics, general relativity, and within these theories the four forces that make sense of them. But what do i- Kristina Pringle- believe?

This is a question I cannot yet answer with assurance. All of these theories suddenly placed in front of me, from these great scientists... it is like playing the piano to a cow- it sounds nice but I don't understand. String theory, is one that they say can unite both quantum mechanics and gravity, but has not yet been tested. So, do i believe it? I would say, I am unable to give an opinion when I do not fully understand how both of these theories work. Like one of the spokesmen said "you cannot have two every wheres at the same time". If they are able to prove this string theory from experiments, and explain it in "human language" I may believe that it is true. But for now, i would say it is another philosophy.

No comments: